Friday, April 17, 2009

The Garden Project


Ok, so each year I like to do one "garden" project to enhance the yard. Last year, in the midst of back surgery recover, I decided to install a fountain with the main feature being a Basalt column (a natural hexagonal column) which had a hole drilled up the middle so water could flow out. I'm not sure what I was thinking since the beast weighed approx 300lbs, but the results were nice and I'm still walking.


This year I'm not sure what inspired me, but I wanted a more "Japanese" feel to my yard. Having enjoyed our Christmas trip to the Philippines, and the Japanese village spa at the resort we stayed at, I guess it may have lay the groundwork for the idea of using bamboo. So I ordered one eight foot section of bamboo to test how it might look. I initially tried it along the back cement wall and it just didn't seem to do the trick. So I moved out front where I have a low slung (3 foot) fence more for aesthetics than function. I liked it so proceeded to order five more 3x8' sections.


I removed the original fence stave's. Then I put a 1x2" foot on the bottom cross bar with which to rest the bamboo, cut the bamboo sections to fit the fence frame and then put a retaining cross bar both top and bottom. The original fence and "framing" pieces were stained dark gray which helped to bring out the light colored bamboo. You'll need to be the judge of the results, but at least the neighbors seem to like it and have complimented the results.

2 comments:

  1. I like it Dad. You've done fine work. I sure wish you were near here. I could use your help and handymanship in getting my house up to snuff. We've got to try and sell it next spring. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey bro Darley!
    I hope you remember the hoevelers cause we sure remember you guys. it's crazy how different things trigger memories. like the time you guys had ducks and geese in your back yard in MA. this is rachael the lone girl of the hoeveler clan. my parents are in San Diego and my oldest brother is in WA state well his family is... he is back in Iraq as a sergeant of his army reserve. Mike is in Florida divorced and being stupid. I (with my husband and 2 girls) are in phoenix AZ Jon is married and living in LA graduating from art school this week end.

    we talk often and mostly about heidi's art and both of your skill and taste of gourmet cooking. and the random stories of growing up with your children. I love the story of the stinging fish in south FL. but recently when some one here in our very residential, rather close to down town phoenix neighborhood. a stay chicken has been wandering around and I proposed we give it a home after a week of this hen roaming through the same 4 yards. I lured it into our back yard thinking I had it trapped and it would be safe from the cat Mafia for a time. but it managed to flutter over the 6 foot high back gate and continue with it's roaming till it disappeared sunday.
    but it brought you guys into my mind and I missed you all. I hope things are good.

    ReplyDelete